Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Anders is rolling and I'm not happy

For those who are around me, I am very quick to advertise that Anders STILL does not roll. Since this is my third go around, I am not the obsessive new mom worried that there is something majorly wrong with my child since he is months passed the average rolling milestone. One, he rolled 4 months ago and then never again, so I know he is physically capable. Two, he is a chub and that is a lot of weight to roll over. Three, I knew he would roll eventually. So I have not lost any sleep over his not rolling, but I still wanted to see him do it and I was tired of giving the same response when asked about crawling, "No he does not crawl and he doesn't roll either." Yesterday I was even at a playdate with friends and his not rolling was a topic of conversation. They were very supportive and reassuring that he was just a chub and would roll in his own time. Well, his own time came today. Day One into it and I already wish he wasn't rolling. This morning, I walked into his room to get him and he greeted me on his belly, and he went to bed on his back. Then nap time, not even one hour into nap and he was crying, I went to check and he was on his belly. This kid normally takes 3+ hour naps, so that was heartbreaking. Then tonight I thought, if he is rolling, I want to see this. We put him on his back and he does his roll to the side and doesn't roll over. Come on, at least let us see you do your new rolling trick. Now he is in bed and I am watching him on the monitor as he rolls to his side, pulling on the rails to flip himself over. So maybe my little roller, can't quite roll alone yet and cheats with the rails. Or maybe he only does it when he is really mad and wants to be rescued from bed. I guess I will find out in the morning.

This video is of his pre bedtime work out. Thanks Beth, we love using your bouncer, except he likes me to bounce along side him. So I have been getting my workout too.



And I must brag about Brian's awesome smoothies. Brian is not a cook, like some husbands. He can grill, but cooking is not his thing. But that man knows his way around a Magic Bullet, the small blender, for those of you who have been to Pure Romance parties, not THAT magic bullet. Anyway, because our kids go through finicky eating stages and Myann is prone to constipation, Brian created a Power smoothie. The kids LOVE them. It had been a weekend treat that Brian made since he was home. Brian kept encouraging me to make them since the kids loved them and they are so good for their growing bodies, but I just don't have enough hands in the morning to put together all the ingredients to his smoothie concoction. Well my sweet husband has now been putting all the ingredients together in the morning in the blender cup, and when we get up, all I have to do is drop the cup into the blender, and smoothies for everyone!!! Thank you honey, it makes my life so much easier.
In case you are interested, here is the basic recipe, though it varies depending on what fruit we have.
Brian's Power Smoothie
5 strawberries
handful of blueberries
1 heaping tbsp ground flaxseed
1/2 banana
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
1/2 cup to 1 cup of water (depends on how much room is left)
Blend and you've got one healthy smoothie. For consistency, something above must be frozen. Typically we use frozen strawberries or blueberries. If we use fresh, then we use a mixture of ice and water to make it thicker.

I initially snubbed my nose at these smoothies, because I am a bit of a smoothie snob, and typically only like Jamba Juice or Thirsty's (both more commonly found in southern parts of the US), but I have sipped on the kids a few times and I really like these. Plus they are so healthy, Dr. Oz would be proud.

No comments: