Wednesday, September 23, 2009

WD-40 is my friend

Really, for you moms out there, how do you get anything else, besides the normal day to day done? Today, Anders is sick and still sleeping a lot and Myann and Shane were nicely playing with toys, so I decided to take a few minutes to clean the outside windows. They have needed it for a while and there is one that makes me crazy, so I went outside for 5, yes, just five minutes. When I came back in, Shane proudly announced that he and Myann had colored my walls. My response, "Your kidding right?" Shane, "No, we colored your walls and they are beautiful." I turned the corner to see a 3X7 ft stretch of wall completely colored in numerous crayon colors. They even climbed on the toy box to get the really high parts. This in five minutes. I didn't even know there were colors out. I keep art supplies well hidden for this reason, but they found some strays.

I was so angry, I marched them up to their room and began cleaning. I wish I had taken a picture, because it was some of their best work ever. My kids are no DaVinci's, their artwork is usually lots of scribbles. But this was good art, looked like Humpty Dumpty on a wall with trees and colored background. It really was impressive, and I had plenty of time to admire it while I scrubbed for an hour. I used my trusty Mr. Clean erasers. They usually work great, but this time it was taking off the paint along with the crayon. After I had done all I could do, there was still crayon in the walls grooves and faint outlines from all the other parts. I went to the internet and tried the suggestion of WD-40. I have heard it works wonders on all sorts of things, so I gave it a try. That stuff is magic, took the rest of the crayon right off the wall and did not harm the paint. I wish I had used it first, and I would not have so much paint rubbed off.

So, my few minutes of trying to clean windows resulted in an additional hour of cleaning the inside of the house. So again I ask, how do you get anything else done, because I am at a loss?

No comments: