Thursday, October 9, 2008

Thank you Brian

I have officially been off the FDA payroll since the end of September, but it took me until yesterday to finally get all my work stuff mailed back to the office. I can't check work emails, I can't do anything for a job that consumed my life the past 10 years. It is incredibly scary and at the same time, I feel a huge amount of weight lifted off of me. Now I can focus 100% of my time on my family. So this is my thank you to Brian, he made this possible. I still remember a little over 4 years ago when we were eating diner with my parents at George's on the Cove in La Jolla. I was pregnant, though we didn't know it yet. The dinner conversation turned to me staying at home once we had kids. My mom was very critical and insistent that I stay home and Brian was even more insistent that I would always work. I said I would stay home if work was unbearable, but in the meantime I would honor Brian's decision since he really believed strongly that a working wife and mom was better for our family. Secretly, I prayed that one day I would be able to stay home with my kids, and there was no point having the argument now, since 1)we did not have kids and 2)financially we needed my salary in San Diego. So after Shane I went back to work, it was the hardest thing I've ever done, but I survived and he stayed with a woman named Mahro, who loved him almost as much as I could. Then came Myann, due to all the complications with her, I was able to be home more and work granted me extended leave and part-time work once I returned. Little did I know that I would not work full time again. Then came Washington and another year of working less than part-time and now I start my dream job of staying at home with my kids.

Brian has worked tremendously hard since I met him and has a work ethic and drive that I can only imagine. I am a good worker, but I don't have his drive for success. His success has made it possible for us to live a great life in a beautiful home and I don't have to work anymore. Thank you Brian. But money was not the main issue for Brian all these years, if it had been, then we would have made the necessary cuts for me to stay home after Shane. Brian has seen that I just couldn't manage the house, kids, and work and still have anything left for him or myself. So thank you Brian for making my dream job happen. But please don't hold it against me when I have days that I hate my new job, because I will. And thank you God for answering my prayers, not in my time, but yours.

3 comments:

Linda said...

Kari, what a lovely thank you note to your wonderful husband :) It's amazing what God has in store for us if we wait for His time!

Domrese Family Blog said...

You will be a great stay at home mom! Brian is lucky to have you, just as you are lucky to have him. What a great pair you make!

dona said...

Hi Kari,
I loved reading your blog. It was so much fun to see the pictures of your kids. I am thrilled you get to be home now. You are an amazing family and I send you a big hug and wishes for only all good stuff. I hope it starts geting much smoother, very quickly.
dona