Thursday, March 10, 2011

Myann - she is one of a kind!

The contents of Myann's Backpack
cement stone
deer antlers
sunglasses
silly bands
at least 10 socks, unmatched pairs
her favorite tie dye shirt
books
keychain from last summer
paper
markers
More, but I am too lazy to go get it and do a full inventory
It is a full size back pack that is literally busting at the seams. We have begun affectionately calling her the bag lady. It started at Christmas when she would carry around her full backpack and use her new grabber to pick up things off the floor. She really looked like a bag lady from back in the day.

Myann is our accident prone child. Just last week I was thinking I should blog about the day in the life of Myann and how many minor injuries she incurs in one day. She falls constantly, walks into walls, trips over things, bumps her head, falls off stairs, catches her fingers in her car seat buckles, falls off her dining room chair, bites her tongue while eating, on and on. Then of course, last night, Myann was jumping from the chair to the couch. Given her history, we should probably not let her do such a thing, but we have learned to pick our battles and that is not one we have chosen to engage in. So she was jumping, fairly harmless, since all the kids do this nightly. Well, this one time, after about 10 times of jumping without injury, she jumped and her foot went down the back of the cushion. She immediately let out a piercing scream and became hysterical. Thankfully our wonderful babysitter had just gotten here and grabbed her and took her to the sink. I could see the pad of her foot wide open about half an inch and blood was gurgling out. I tried band aids and butterfly strips, but it just kept bleeding and I could not get it closed enough to make me comfortable, so I loaded her up for urgent care. I decided to check the couch for what caused the laceration. All I could find was a back scratcher that had gotten wedged in the couch and it was prong up. We are assuming that is the culprit and has since been thrown in the trash.

Poor Myann was hysterical most of the drive, but calmed down once we got to the urgent care. We only had to wait about 20 minutes before being seen. She was okay until they started cleaning the wound. Once they flushed the blood they found that she had also sliced open the back of her pinky toe. They used 3 stitches to reattach the flap to the back of her toe and two stitches to close the open gash in her foot pad. The process was excruciating for her and I. The poor girl was crying out for them to quit killing her. I felt bad, but the nurse and I were sadly laughing when she would moan out to please stop killing her. All in all she did well, but her and I were both exhausted when the ordeal was over. The doctor told us that she could not put any pressure on it for 10 to 14 days, meaning no walking, no getting it wet and cleaning it out and rewrapping it every night. My response was seriously, you want me to carry her while I am 5 months pregnant and have a 2 year old and 5 year old to also keep track of. Thankfully, we have adapted. Myann scoots around on her butt at home and has even learned how to get up and down stairs. I give her piggy back rides when we leave the house and she can do a little bit of walking on her heel. She is milking all the attention, but being pretty tough. The boys are handling it in their own way. Shane is being a great big brother and helping when he can. This morning he brought her toothbrush to the couch for her to brush and then brought her a bag to spit in. He has offered to sleep with her to help her during the night, but this is more of a selfish request. Anders, on the other hand, is not pleased with her extra attention. This morning he limped up to me and said that his toe was hurting and he needed to sit in my lap and get love. Too sweet, but funny that he even added a limp for dramatic affect.

No comments: