Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Lent

Lent has been much discussed in this house this week. Our kids have had less than stellar behavior and I thought it was a good time to introduce the 40 sacrifice so that we experience just a little bit of the suffering that Jesus did for us. We still have some more discussing though, because Shane told me at dinner that he would hug my belly for 40 days for Lent. I explained that he loved hugging my belly and that was not a sacrifice. Then he asked if he could give up something that he was already grounded from. I see his point there, since he has been grounded from almost all electronic media on and off for 2 months.

As for me, I have decided to blog daily, something I have been terrible at, because it reminds me of my blessings. Also, I am going to reinstate what I did last year for Lent, and that is to give away something everyday. Mostly stuff to Goodwill, but some will be trash. This is huge for me, because I am a hoarder, not so packed inside your house that you can't move around, but I keep things because you just never know when you might need it. I am notoriously famous for hoarding boxes, just plain old shipping boxes, or boxes that figurines come in, or gift boxes, etc. My Aunt Cheryl helped purge my box of bags once because I had hundreds. In San Diego, I had an entire garage storage cabinet full of boxes. My thought process was I refused to buy a box for shipping, so I kept every shape size so I always had them on hand. I have since matured past that a little, since I order so much through the mail that we have new boxes coming every week. Plus the post office will give you flat rate shipping boxes for free. I still have my figurine boxes and the gift boxes that are too pretty to throw away. But I am down to a few shelves of boxes and not a whole cabinet. I have also since purged all my clothes from junior high and high school, this happened during Lent last year. Ok, so I still have one dress from high school, but that will go this week I am sure. Get the picture, I am bad and this is a perfect Lent sacrifice and when I clean out some of the clutter, it does allow more time and room for God in my life and that is the point of Lent.

1 comment:

Cher said...

You are not such a Hoarder that folks should start looking for you on A&E.