Thursday, September 2, 2010

Shane's First Day of Kindergarten (and Anders' First Day of Preschool)



Today was a big day, not just because it was the 3rd time in a year that he has not worn some type of superhero shirt.

Looks like he is holding on for dear life, maybe he is more nervous than he lets on.





Shane started kindergarten. Pretty anticlimatic, one dad actually said those words out load. We waited outside the door until their teacher came out. The kids are PM kinder so the rest of the school was already in session. The teacher opened the door and the kids walked in. We followed Shane in and made sure he was situated at his desk and then we left. That was it. Not sure what I was expecting, but apparently a speech or bow or performance of some sort because the whole event was really anticlimatic.

He's all grown up


Crossing the crosswalk


Noticing that his shadow looks like Darth Vader - it does


One last look back

Going in

Sitting at his desk, ready to begin



Flash forward 2 hours and I was back at the school picking him up. I had been warned about the nightmare carpool line so I got there early and parked. I wanted to take more pictures and meet Shane at the door. We waited for a while and then out they came. Shane was looking around and smiled when he saw me, but then immediately said, "Mom you were supposed to wait in the car and I walk out to you." I felt terrible that I ruined his fun, and promised that I would wait in the car tomorrow. Seriously, does that begin already?



Anders had his first day of preschool too. Again very anticlimatic. We entered the class and Anders went to playing. I asked for a hug and kiss and he said, "No, I playing." Shane asked too and was rejected. So after watching a few minutes, secretly hoping that he would show a hint of sadness that I was leaving and there was NONE. He did not even notice me walk out the door. I should be proud that I have such an independent, secure child, but I guess I wanted him to at least notice I was leaving. When I picked him up hours later, his teacher told me that he was an absolute joy. She said he did not have a bad moment the entire day. He ate his food, took his nap, and played nice. She gushed that he was such a good-natured boy. Then I was super proud. And when I showed up, Anders did acknowledge my presence, but only to say hi and then climb back on the rocking toy, obviously in no hurry to leave.

Outside Anders' classroom door.

Then Myann wanted in the picture - seriously, look at her face and his

Anders was not having her in his picture. It got ugly from here - no pictures



This is what we did after school - swim lessons. At least for a month, I am "that" mom who overbooks her kids in activities. We have something just about every day for one of the kids outside of school.

Anders really wanted to be with the kitties on the other side of this door.




2 comments:

Cher said...

Poor Myann. As a middle child, I understand her pain and loneliness.
HURRAY for Shane!!!!
Oh, yeah, and Anders.

Anonymous said...

I agree, first day of K was anticlimatic.Sam's teacher popped the door open and said,"Who's ready for kindergarten?" And the mom next to me burst into tears. She wasn't ready. I didn't feel there was anything to cry about. He had his first day of school when he was 18 months old so.. not a big deal? lol