Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Hair Cut Day

My kids never cease to surprise me.

Flashback - Shane had his first hair cut when he was 21 months old. Literally 4 days after Myann was born, I took him for his first cut and I was still in a bit of pain from the c-section, but I wanted his hair cut because I thought it was time for him to be a big boy. Mind you, his babysitter had already partially cut it a few months before while I was on bedrest with Myann, I cried, but I decided to pretend it never happened and that I would take him for his "first" haircut. In actuality, she only trimmed his bangs and not the curls in the back, but I was still mad because then he had a mullet. I digress, his first hair cut went pretty well. He watched a movie, got a sucker and all was well in the world until she brought out the clippers. Then he freaked, but we decided scissor cut was plenty. Shane is still not a fan, but tolerates the clippers. He just HATES the cut hairs on his body. Today he insisted I bring him a change of clothes and then he still came home and ran for the bath tub. Shane may have the most sensitive skin in the world.


Next, Myann gets her hair cut, previously blogged. She was close to 2 years as well and I was pregnant with Anders. I expected her to have a fit and was prepared, but she was prefect. She even let the hairdresser put a ponytail in her hair. She got her sucker and was good to go. She is a total girl when it comes to hair cuts, she truly seems to enjoy every minute of the pampering. I love that she will be my spa buddie one day. To this day when I mention it is time for hair cuts, Myann always asks if she will get her sucker.



Today - I had a feeling that things would not go well. I do not know why I had that feeling since Anders is my go with the flow guy. If any kid would do fine, it is him, but my gut prepared me.
Waiting for his turn, all smiles while watching Finding Nemo


Last look at his beautiful hair


We got there and I planned for him to go first, but he would not have it and kicked and screamed. So I let Anders play while Shane and Myann got hair cuts. Then it was his turn. I turned to the hairdresser and said "What do I do? I have never dealt with this before." She said hold him down. So we strapped him into his zebra and I held him to the seat with him screaming and twisting and fighting with all his might. Once he settled a bit, I got the camera - I know, horrible mother, but tears or no tears I was capturing this moment. He cried off and on between distractions and gagging himself with the sucker. The sucker did help and the movie did help, but that boy did not like the experience at all. I am curious what will happen next time.










As for my heartbreak over his hair being cut, it was less emotional than I expected. Maybe because we did not chop it and maybe because he was so hysterical, and maybe because a little bit of curl is left. Maybe because he is still adorable, though I have to do a double-take when I see him from behind because he does not look like my boy anymore.

The end result


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Popi can't stand all the little stray hairs after a hair cut either. He is in the shower as soon as possible.