Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Happy Birthday Shane!!!


Where did the 4 years go? My super smart boy, you are 4 years old today and already you are looking forward to five. You reminded me this morning that you turn five then six. I want you to just stay 4, even 4 seems too old already. You have been a challenge these last 6 months, with having to lock the house down tighter than Ft. Knox, but we are thankful because it means you are smart, smarter than us. You are always one step ahead of us. Your daddy and I thought we were smart people, and then we met you. So you humble us and amaze us. On the way home from the airport last night you wanted me to sit in the back with you so we could talk. You gave me a big hug and said you missed me, in that moment I realized just how much I missed you too. Then we proceeded to have a full mature conversation about what to make for school the next day, since they don't allow cupcakes. You insisted on orange muffins, when I said I didn't know how to make them, you said to look up the recipe on the computer. Seriously, you used the word recipe and knew exactly where to look.

You are a joy to this family. You make mommy and daddy so proud. So proud of your big heart, so proud of how you love your friends, your baby brother, and your puppies. You say you don't like Myann, but we know better. When you think we aren't looking, we see you help put her shoes on, we see you play secret hiding place together, and just giggle til your bellies hurt. Some days you talk about what you will do when you get to be an adult, like eat nuts (probably not going to happen), but then you say you want to stay a kid forever because then you can play all day. Oh how wise you are.

I love your hugs, I love how you tell me you just want to be with mommy. That is my cue to drop what I am doing and just give you the time you deserve. I love that you love superheroes, but I secretly fear that you will jump from something too high, because you really believe you can fly like a superhero. I hope that you will learn to ride a bike even though when I told you that you were getting one for your birthday, you told me, "No thanks, I already have a truck." Oh brother, what have we done.

Shane, mommy and daddy think we are lucky parents to have you, and we love you more than you will ever understand.

Happy 4th Birthday,
Mommy and Daddy

2 comments:

Jaidean said...

Happy Birthday, Shane!!!

Unknown said...

Kari,
I'm just now getting a chance to catch up on the blog. I don't know why, but I started crying as I read this entry. I have come to love that little stink so much. I never thought I would love a kid as much as I love mine, but I do. I don't want him to grow up either. I'm going to miss his little voice and his cut little comments that certaintly shouldn't being coming out of a 3 now 4 year olds mouth. Sometimes I take a double take because I forget that he isn't 10. Anyways, I'm hoping that we can get another Shane birthday in the future. We miss you guys. See you soon.

Dani