Monday, February 2, 2009

Quick post on Shane

This one is probably you had to be there moment to appreciate it, but I had to write it down for my own memory.

On Saturday night Shane started his nightly habit of sneaking out of his room after we put him to bed. Our new tool in breaking this habit is we put a potty chair in his room and lock his door as nothing else has worked to date. He is not a fan of the locking in the room and having to use the potty chair which he calls the 'baby potty', but hopefully it will be effective in breaking this habit. Before we go to bed we quitely unlock his door so he can use the restroom when he wakes and he's not trapped in his room in case of an emergency, bad dream, etc.

Recently when he wakes up he will go into the play room and turn the TV on to watch cartoons. Kari told him she was proud of him last week for doing this and letting her sleep. The problem is Anders now sleeps in the play room, but it has not been an issue as Anders is usually nursing in bed before Shane wakes up. Well Sunday morning Anders slept like a rock star and Shane went in to watch cartoons and woke him up. Kari told him she was not happy with him for waking him up and he responded, "You're not proud of me mom?" She instantly realized her mistake and felt terrible for the mixed message. A few minutes later Kari left for the gym, I had Anders downstairs, while Shane watched cartoons upstairs. I went to change Anders and as I walked by the stairs I heard Shane say, "I'm never coming downstairs puppies, I'm staying up here all day!!" The puppies stood wagging their tales looking up at Shane sitting on the stairs with his arms folded and wearing a scowl. I put Anders down and went and got Shane a bag of cereal and a drink and walked up to meet him sitting on the stairs. When he saw me he turned completely around on the stairs to avoid making eye contact. I sat down by him and asked why he was mad at mommy and daddy. He said, "Because you and mommy hate me. Not like my family in Texas and Georgia who love me." Of course I explained how we always love him and would somebody who hates him bring him cereal and a drink? He explained he was miffed about being locked in his room the night before and that mommy said she wasn't proud of him this morning. We talked through it for awhile and ended it with he was still not coming downstairs and me reitierating well we still love him no matter what. About 10 minutes later Shane came walking in the living room and said, "Dad, I'm only coming down because Anders is downstairs. He loves me and needs me. I wish you'd take him upstairs so I could stay up there all day." He then went over and played with Anders until finally warming up to his dad. His thought process of even saving face just amazes me as he's still three months away from turning four.

No comments: