Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Another day with Shane

This could be a long post, but because Shane was not entirely to blame, I will keep it brief. Shane woke me up this morning to tell me that he took some cough medicine. Of course I leapt out of bed and asked him to show me. My utmost concern was Brian had just gotten a prescription of codeine cough medicine and I knew we had left it out on the kitchen counter. It was pushed back, so "most" kids would leave it alone, but to Shane, items on the counter are an easy target. Brian also had several other prescriptions filled, but they were left out too. I know, stupid of us, but really, my nightly lockdown is so time consuming, that I just miss things. Well Shane showed me what he took. Fortunately he had gotten out a little bit of kids cough medicine. He pried the lid off with his teeth, or so he told me. He could not get the codeine lid off, thank you God. My other huge scare was the massive knife Shane had pulled out of the drawer, sitting there next to the medicine. He used the knife to destroy the lid on Brian's pill bottle. Thankfully, he did not take any pills, he said they smelled funny, so he didn't take any. Again, thank you God not just for not taking pills, but for not cutting his hand off trying to open the bottle. Then I saw 2 kids stools double stacked next to the laundry room door where the puppies sleep. We lock that door because Shane was climbing into the puppy kennels in the morning and we keep medicine and cleaning supplies in that room. Well the stools were stacked because Shane was trying to get to a nail in the wall, as you read in Brian's post, he was going to use the nail to get the lock open. Seriously, this is my life. We don't know what to do now short of locking him in his room with a potty. I think using the potty in his room with emotionally scar him, but Brian said it is better than him doing harm to himself. So the best solution is that I wake up before him. That is just cruel for me because sometimes Shane gets up at 6 am and somedays 7:30 am and until Anders is sleeping through the night, I really need to sleep in as late as I can. So we are considering a door alarm, there has to be such a thing, because then the alarm will wake me and I will know he is up. So I need to conclude this blog because I must go lock every cabinet, put up any sharp pointy objects, lock every room, bike lock the fridge, and pray. Prayers of praise and petition will be done tonight.

I guess it was long anyway. And to make matters worse, Shane has an appointment with an allergy doctor tomorrow and their one request is that you not give antihistamines 3 days before the appt, because it will interfere with the testing. So now I have to admit my parental failings to a doctor to explain why Shane has had an antihistamine in the cough medicine. Cheers to a better tomorrow and to good friends who let you vent (Jamie, Jen, and Amber), thank you for listening to me today and offering me encouragement.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Kari - yes - there are door alarms, hopefully that will help you get some sleep. Hang in there. Things will get better soon. Pam

Linda said...

OMG Kari! He's into everything!!! :)