Sunday, February 22, 2009

CANCER SUCKS!!!

What a difference a week makes. Wednesday, my brother found out that his cancer is back. For those not too familiar, I'll catch you up. This is his 3rd bout in 8 years. He was first diagnosed with a cardiac angiosarcoma (heart tumor) in 2001. With surgery and chemo he beat it. Then in 2006, he had another tumor, same thing, still in the heart. He had surgery and chemo again, beat it. Well this time he has only been off chemo a year and it is back. This time they don't think it is operable, for the science minded, the tumor is along the septum, extending through the mitral valve. So now he starts chemo next week. Everything is still very preliminary and we are all still in shock, but the best case scenario at this point is get the chemo to knock out the cancer and then get him on the transplant list and pray he gets a heart or perhaps do an artificial heart. Also, if a heart tumor sounds rare to you, it is, my brother's case is very isolated, insanely rare, and he is one of only a few known survivors. I think he should play the lottery, because his odds of winning the lottery are better than getting this type of cancer. We are believers in the power of prayer, so I ask that you please pray for him. Specifically for his health, but also his emotional well being. Having the cancer come back so soon is difficult physically, but also on his spirit. He is feeling bad for his family and how this effects their lives as well. He just needs to be lifted up, as do I. He is a christian and knows that God only gives him as much as he can handle, but frankly right now he feels that God has a bit too much faith in him.

I am still pretty numb, I go between feeling normal and then uncontrollable crying, so forgive me if you see me and I am a little off. My brother is one of the greatest people I know and it makes me sad to think of what he, Danielle, and his kids have endured in these past 8 years. On the topic of Danielle, my sister in law, she has dealt with more in her 31 years of life than anyone should have to in their lifetime. She is the strongest, most devoted wife and mom I know, and frankly she deserves a long spa getaway and not an unpaid job as nurse. But she wouldn't have it any other way, she cares for my brother with an unmatched level of selflessness.

On a lighter note, my kids sure know how to make me smile when smiling is the last thing I want to do. The night I found out, Anders slept 9 hours straight, a new record and has continued to sleep at least 8 hours solid per night. Shane has been better behaved, still mischievous, but we're dealing, and Myann...as I type she has forced me to wear her hot pink sunglasses and tigger hat, and she has laid a towel on me and keeps pushing my head down and telling me to rest while she burps me. Gotta love the little mommy in her.

I am creating a blog for my brother to post updates and info about his cancer, hoping it can help others. I will post the link once I create it.

Here are some pictures of Alex from Christmas:
Alex with his daughter Lexi and Anders


Alex with our cousin Alexus

8 comments:

Linda said...

Oh Kari, I'm praying for you and your brother and your family. I know how devastating cancer is, and I pray that God works miracles in your brother's life as He has in my mom's the past 14 years. If you need anything, please don't hesitate to call.

Kelly said...

Kari, my heart goes out to you and your family. Cancer does suck! You all are in my thoughts and definitely my prayers. As Linda said, don't hesitate to call if you need anything.

The Butterfields said...

Kari, I'm so sorry for your family. Cancer is horrible and envelops the entire family in its wrath. We'll be praying for you all in the months to come.

Di said...

I don't know you but I am happy to put your sweet brother on my prayer list.
May HIS peace surround you, be with every decision made and please Lord, give an extra measure of your wisdom to the Dr.'s treating this young man.

imthankfullyhis@gmail.com

oh' boy said...

Cancer does suck... let me know ASAP the link and I will put it on my blog and we will get a prayer chain going!!!! Sending you hugs, kisses, & prayers!!!!

Domrese Family Blog said...

We'll keep you in our thoughts and prayers and are always here for any support.

Marty, Rhenda and Anna said...

Kari, your brother, his family and yours will be in our thoughts and prayers as well.

April said...

just wow...I don't have any uplifting words to say through my shock right now. I have always been amazed at how lucky Alex has been in years past and his spirit and health is what has pulled him through thus far. We will pray for all of your families.