Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day

In the spirit of Mother's Day, I thought I would discuss the kids who made me a mother.

Shane, the one who taught me what motherhood is/was. He continues to teach me because each stage is new with him. I experience all the stages of mothering a child through him first and for that he is special. Everything is a learning experience and he is kind to me through the process. Except for tonight when he told me I was the stupidest mother ever after he lost the privilege of picking out a bedtime book because he was not listening before bedtime. So I got to practice my unconditional love by telling him that I love him even when he is mad at me, but those words hurt my feelings and I am obligated to discipline him for bad behavior.


This picture is of Shane with his breakfast concoction - bagel with yogurt and strawberries.

Myann, the one who makes me a better mother. She challenges me many of her waking hours. She is so different than the boys, but in many ways she touches my heart. With her, the affection does not always pour freely, but when she gives the love, it feels all the more special, as if I have earned it. With Myann I have to be creative, on my toes, and always thinking. She is so different than me and the boys, so I am learning how different is good and that we have to find ways to encourage our individual skills. I think Myann might have a future with the CIA, except her clumsiness may hold her back in the career field. I do not think our relationship will ever come easy, but I know it will be strong. After Shane, like most moms, I never thought I could love another child like him, but then Myann was born and she showed me that your heart makes equal room. I loved her before she was born, and when I met her, it was as if she had always been in our lives.



Anders, the one who makes motherhood easy. Seriously, Anders is so easy, so easy to love, so easy to get love, so easy to be with. Brian and I fight over who gets him because he is so easy, except for on airplanes, then he is not so easy. He is joyful, happy, loving, and kindhearted. More times than not, he may hit if provoked, but he will instantly follow it up with a kiss. He gets his feelings hurt and pouts, but immediately seeks affection for comfort. He makes me want 10 more babies. Hence the making motherhood easy part. Anders has taught me that affection is one of the most empowering actions, his hugs make a bad day good.


To the man who made me a mother, Brian, I love you. Thank you for our family.

To our mothers, stepmothers, and grandmas - thank you, everything I know about motherhood I learned from one of you.

And today's funnies:

Shane's quote of the day, "I am peeful. That means I am full of pee today." And he was, emergency pee run at Albertsons and as soon as we got home. Albertsons, a whole other story. I got lots of pity looks shopping with 3 kids going in different directions and we came home with lots of ice cream.

Myann's question of the day and when I heard it I knew I had arrived into motherhood. "Why is the sky blue? Did water splash into the sky?" Maybe tomorrow I will have to explain to her the wonders of light absorption and reflection.

Anders, "Doggie, doggie, dooogggieeeeeee." The whole drive today, but most of the time he was looking at horses and not dogs. So then Myann said, "Ahh, he thinks everything is a dog. Anders, they are horses, noooooot doggies." Poor guy can't get a break.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ahhhhhhhhhhh the kids look great! I love Anders long hair. I hope you guys keep it longer.