Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happy Valentine's Day


Anders in the tub with red bath water, of course red, it was Valentine's Day.

Not a very exciting day around here. Brian and I are VERY anti-Valentine's Day and I only even acknowledge it for the sake of the kids. I got the kids a couple of books and candy, but no cards for them or Brian. I did make pink pancakes, I was in a mood and did make cookies with chocolate hearts. Now that I think about it, I think I did the most Valentine's stuff ever this year, but again, all for the kids. Poor Brian. However, Brian was sweet today, as this is the 11 year anniversary of when we met on an airplane, so we talked about that. But no gifts or fanfare, just thankful that a plane trip brought us together. Because as I have said before, nothing short of being forced to sit next to each other for 3 hours would have forged a connection.

We did celebrate the puppies' birthday as well. It was actually yesterday, but we went to a movie and then had friends over, so we celebrated a day late. I don't think Katie and Maddox were offended. So today I baked a "cake" for the puppies, complete with "icing". Too lazy to post pics tonight, but I will do it tomorrow. They were a little unsure at first, but quickly got on board and ate up. As with any siblings, they had to taste each others, just to make sure the other did not get something better. We also made sure that they had equal portions, though they each ate half of each plate. Oh children, species does not matter, they are all the same. Again, Brian asked, "Is this all for the puppies or for our kids?" My response, "For the puppies." Brian, "You know they have no idea it is their birthday." Me...so I had no comeback. But now in thinking, neither do any of our kids at this point. Ok, so maybe Shane would realize if we missed his birthday, but Myann was talking today about her birthday as if it were next week. See, no clue. But yes, I partly did the birthday thing for the kids, because I knew they would think it was fun. But I also did it for the puppies. Brian does not let us feed the dogs anything but dog food. Ok, so they get a lot out of Anders' high chair, but he is vehemently against feeding dogs people food. I know, it is healthier, but I like giving special treats from time to time, to myself, the kids, the dogs...I'm a softy. Anyway, I thought it was a good excuse to give the dogs some good treats, and it worked, not a word from Brian about it being unhealthy. BTW, the "cake" was decent. Brian tricked me into trying a bite.

Patiently waiting for their cake


This is a reminder to myself. Tonight at bedtime, Shane requested for his birthday a chocolate cake with strawberry icing and covered with chocolate covered strawberries. Oh how it makes a momma proud. Sandra, I think he got the idea from your dessert Saturday, he LOVED the chocolate covered strawberries. I am quite excited, because I believe that is a cake I can make myself. No need for a bakery unless he requests a superhero cake like last year.

Happy Valentine's Day! Even though I think it is a fake holiday, the 14th changed my life, and for that I am forever thankful.

No comments: