Sunday, January 4, 2009

Honesty of a 3 year old

We are going through a rough patch right now with Shane, and by ROUGH I mean HORRIBLE!!! I keep praying it is a stage. I really wonder what happened to my sweet well behaved 2 year old. Even early 3 he was fine, but the past 4 months have been bad. It began with back talking and now that is a dream of the past. The new Shane is mischievous, to the point of dangerous. He has brought childproofing to a whole new level. Try childproofing a boy who can undo any lock or gate and scale the highest shelves. We are seriously considering padlocking everything. Which is why I have been awake since 5am, standing guard to keep him out of things he shouldn't get into since he is awake and on the prowl. As for the honest part, yesterday Anders was crying as Brian and I were trying to childproof the pantry door, not easy with bi fold doors. Then Anders' whiny cry gave way to a blood curdling scream. I run to him to see Shane scurrying away with a rotten grin. I asked him what happened and he gladly told me that he jabbed Anders in the eye with his finger. Real nice, let's just say Shane went down for an early nap. Next example, this morning he came in at 5am to go to the bathroom. As I am wiping his behind he said, "Mom don't follow me to my room." You could have seen the light bulb above my head glowing, I knew he was up to no good. So I waited a minute and found him in his room getting into the medicine bag I keep in the diaper bag with a small thing of Tylenol, his epi pen, and baby teething gel. I was less concerned with him taking the medicine and more concerned with him dumping it into the carpet, which is his disobedience of choice the past month.

I welcome any tricks to stop this and suggestions on why it has become so bad. The obvious being the birth of Anders and Shane feeling replaced or neglected, or any of that other emotional stuff that comes with a new baby. But while we were in Texas, he was getting all the attention he could want and he still did rotten things when it was time to sleep. Mostly they involved dumping bath gels and shampoos into carpets or sneaking junk food. At Grandpa Jo's I spent 2 hours one night shampooing all the kids bath gel out of their carpet at 10 pm. Then at my mom's he snuck a box of fruit rollups in his room during nap. While the men thought he was sleeping, mom and I were out shopping, Shane consumed 9 fruit rollups. At 3 feet each, that is 27 feet of sugar. His poop was bright green as late as yesterday. I know the psych reason for that behavior, he doesn't eat his meal and then he waits until no one is looking and gets junk food. I am about to ban all snacks from my house unless the new pantry lock I ordered works.

I really don't like to post negative stuff on my blog, but I needed to get this out and really could use some advice. Otherwise I will be sending Shane off to my cousin Micah for discipline 101, Micah has the best behaved kids I have ever seen.

1 comment:

Domrese Family Blog said...

No advice here, just support. Glad that you're back, we've missed you!