Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The mind of Shane, Anders' funnies, and Myann at camp

I know we talk about Shane a lot and the way his mind works, but really, maybe it is a first child thing, but he really blows us away.

Shane is not a diehard baseball player by any stretch, and we are waiting to see if he even wants to play after this year. Well, prior to his declining interest, I had already signed him up for the Gonzaga Baseball camp, and it is nonrefundable.  So when he told me that he did not want to go, the unfortunate response was, "Too bad. It is paid for and you are going."  He seems to be enjoying camp now that he is in it.  Though he said it is exhausting, and hot.  It has been 80 degrees, which is hot for here, but nothing compared to the Texas heat Brian and I grew up with.  Anyway, we were discussing his baseball playing and Shane said to Brian and I, "Why do you keep spending all this money on baseball and camps for me, it is not like I am going to play in college?" Seriously, what 6 year thinks about his baseball playing now having anything to do with college ball. 

Along the same lines, we were discussing him riding in a car seat.  He has really been pushing to sit in a booster, rather than his 5 point harness car seat. I told him that he was very special to me, and I wanted to keep him as safe as possible in the car and that meant a car seat. He then goes on to point out everyone he knows who uses a booster and then asks if their parents do not love them as much. Okay, not fair, but I explained that all parents have different fears and comforts and it did not mean they loved them any less if they let them ride in a booster, that just was not a fear they had.  Shane then responded, "Mom, you can't protect me by keeping me in a car seat forever. One day I will be a teenager and I will not fit in a car seat anymore." Hee, hee, little does he know that I will have to give up this battle long before he is a teenager. But what a wise statement, I can't protect him forever, but I am going to do the best I can for as long as I can.

Anders is not to be outdone, as he is proving to have quite the sense of humor and witty statements.  My little sweetie ran up to me before going to the store the other day and said, "I need a kiss and hug".  Of course the kiss includes grabbing my face and planting me with a big ol' kiss. Then he said, "And I will have fun with Dad while you are gone." I guess that comes from the times I tell him to have fun while I am gone or with the babysitter etc.  Brian said Anders promptly went to the toy box and pulled out a bunch of toys and proceeded to dump them in his lap.  Anders meant what he said about having fun with Dad.

Another Anders funny that is a tiny bit embarrassing for me is that when we were in Portland, Anders and I were doing the I love you more than game.  He said, "I love you from here to your bootie." My thought was, "ok, kind of odd." Then he clarified, "And you have a big giant bootie." Okay, ouch that hurt, though I guess it means he loves me a lot. Flash back to Shane telling me the same thing when I was pregnant with Anders. Way to give a pregnant lady a complex. 

Myann is in art camp this week and she is loving having something that is hers alone.  Shane is at baseball camp and Anders has school camp 2 days, and she loves that she has 5 full days of art camp. I thought it was going to be too much, but she is loving it.  She comes home and has to describe every project to me and enthusiastically at that. She also made a friend, and of course has attached herself to the teacher. Not sure why I was worried about her, she is loving it.  Grandparents, be on the look out for art projects in the mail. I told Myann that she was generating far too many for me to keep, so we would need to mail some out for other family members to enjoy.

No comments: