Monday, June 13, 2011

Dad and Shane conversation

I wanted to capture a discussion I had with Shane which I do not want to forget. This is an example of something Shane will throw at me weekly and I have already forgotten most of them already. I know they have happened but cannot recall all the details. Earlier this week after reading him books for bed he asked, “Dad, so infinity means something goes on and on and on forever right?” Dad, “Yes Shane.” Shane, “So then infinity cannot be a number.” (Stated as fact rather than a question). Dad, “Correct.” Shane, “So infinity will not be a number until the end of the World when God quits creating numbers right Dad?” (Again stated as fact). Dad stunned, “You nailed it Shane, now quit stalling and get your little butt in bed.”


As I mentioned this is an example of discussions we have weekly where it’s easy to forget he is only six. After time goes by I usually forget how his brain processed information at such and such age and my memory adds months or a year to his true age. If friends didn’t remind me of how he freaked them out with full sentences and thought concepts at pre-18 months, I would dismiss it as poor memory in my own mind. In this case he didn’t just memorize a definition, but he grasped the concept and thought it through to a conclusion. I tell people all the time, and I swear I am right, that the kid will soon pass me up and realize he’s smarter than I am. I am two years away from hearing, “Hey Dad, uhhh, nevermind. Hey, mom?”

Shane in case you read this as a teenager someday and try to hold it over me. Smarter and wiser are two completely different things. I have experiences, which include doing a lot of dumb things growing up and mistakes I continue to make, that have made me wiser, not necessarily smarter. I don’t care how smart you are, you won’t understand this concept until you have kids. That said, when referring to teenagers smart@#$% and wise@#$% are interchangeable.

No comments: