Wednesday, March 11, 2009

A day in the life of having one child

I don't remember what it is like to only have one child, I guess that is good, because I have 3!!!! Well Wednesdays give me a small glimpse of what it would be like. We have our usual morning and then I take Shane and Myann up to preschool, never before 9:30 am and usually much later. After that, it is just Anders and I to do whatever needs to be done. Today I had to take the van for an oil change and tire rotation, so we left the car and walked to the bank and the coffee shop (BTW it was 15 degrees F, but have acclimated because it was actually enjoyable.) Anders even seemed to like it. We settled at the coffee shop (Black Tie - best coffee shop in Spokane) and I actually drank my coffee in the shop and enjoyed a scone, bouncing Anders in my lap and flipping through the mail. It was blissful, 3 kids in a coffee shop would be anything but bliss. No one else was in there, so I just had fun talking to Anders and getting smiles, not that it is hard. Anders will smile every time you smile or talk to him - he is the happiest baby ever. I get to enjoy the time with him because I don't have to chase the other two around.

Seriously, this is the face I spent the whole day with. And I think I really have the cutest baby, at least that is what I get told all day long :) - so maybe it's the hat.



After we got home, I put Anders down for a nap and I got to do household stuff for 3 hours uninterrupted. Again, pure bliss. So this isn't a typical Wednesday, normally I have lots of errands and running around, but this was a good one. And for those worried about Myann, the middle child, she had this same quality time too. We used to have lots of solo time when Shane was in preschool and before Anders was born. I have been fortunate enough to get alone time with each one.

Rotten Myann story: Myann is not a morning person 90% of the time, so we let her play in her crib for a while in the morning before getting her. Better for her and better for us. Well this morning I heard her on the monitor and she seemed to have woken up happy so I went and got her and brought her downstairs. Shane is a huge morning person, annoyingly so. He loves sunny mornings because the light shining through the windows cast "rainbows" all around the house. So Shane is shouting, "It is a beautiful day and look at all the rainbows." Well he ran into the kitchen and repeated it to Myann and she had a baby doll in her hand which she just whacked Shane in the face with. I looked back to see blood pouring down his face and he was whimpering, not even crying just whimpering. And bless his heart said, "I didn't do anything mom, I just said it was a beautiful day." My heart broke for him, I quickly put Myann in a corner for time out and started to contain the bleeding. It was bad and all I could think was put pressure on his nose, but his nose was so red from being hit that I didn't want to squeeze it. His mouth was full of blood, so I had to check to make sure she didn't knock a tooth out. It was just that so much blood was coming out that it was filling his mouth. After about 5 minutes it finally stopped bleeding. Shane was a trooper, so I walked him over to Myann and showed her what she did to him. I thought that would have the longest lasting impact. Though Shane reminded her all evening about what she did, so I doubt he'll let her forget any time soon. Who knew baby doll heads were that hard or that Myann was that strong. My goodness!

Random photo: I saw this when I was downloading photos. So this is what Dad does when mom is not around.

1 comment:

Kim said...

That hat is SO CUTE! I love it! Yay for your one child day. I can't imagine how crazy it is going to be when I have more than just Preston. And Anders has gotten so big! He really looks like both Shane and Myann now. He's so stinkin' cute!