Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Happy 5th Birthday Shane


Happy Birthday to my amazing 5 year old. It takes all the restraint I have to not call you my baby boy, because you are still my baby, but when I look at you, so little of the baby is left. You have matured and grown into a school kid, and you will finally be in elementary school in 5 short months. You are still my lovable snuggler, still my buddy, still my eloquent chatterbox, but this year you have become a wonderful big brother and a child with wisdom well beyond his years.

Unlike most kids, you know being a child is the prize. After all, when dad asked you what you wanted to be when you grew up, you said you did not want to grow up, you wanted to be a kid forever. Then you added that maybe you would be Spiderman. Every time you outgrow anything, you stash it away for Anders. When I told you to give away toys, you wanted to give them to your best friend James. I thought you were being sweet. Sandra wisely pointed out that you were just keeping them in close proximity. You outsmart your dad and I almost daily and that scares us both. But, at the end of the day, what I value most in you is your heart. You have a good heart and you love Jesus; I think you are on the right track for a 5 year old. I love you and am so excited about what this next year holds for you.

1 comment:

Cher said...

Scenario:
Sunday, October 2, 2005 (just shy of 6 months) --
Your Mom has food poisoning and Aunt Sandy has taken her to the hospital; Your Dad is on his way to Houston for business (and, not to be outdone by his wife, will have food poisoning the next day). I start my new job the next day and here I am, on a Sunday night, stuck with a screaming baby. You are not happy about Mom’s disappearance (neither am I) and, even though we kind of know each other, my breasts are merely decorative and have no working function so I am of no use to you. You scream and scream; I rock and rock (and shhhhhh). I am not use to babies; I don’t particularly like them since I don't understand them. Really, what is this kid’s problem?
Finally, after hours of sobbing, mainly from you though I can’t guarantee I didn’t shed a tear or two myself, I sit down on the rocker in your bedroom. I’m exhausted!!! But then so are you. You spread your arms out, reaching one little arm to one shoulder and the other to the opposite shoulder (a hug??), with your swollen eye lids and your nasally breathing, finally quiet and at peace … and I fell in love. Unconditionally! I expect nothing of our relationship and yet each time I see you, I am amazed at your growth; physically, mentally, emotionally. You are a kind, sweet child with a dry sense of humor and I cannot thank you (and your Mom) enough for coming into my life. (Ok, maybe your Dad had something to do with it also).
Five years old! And I’m your biggest fan!
Love always and forever,
Aunt Cheryl