Sunday, March 28, 2010

Thankful

Tonight my heart was heavy and I did not know why. I was lead to check on a blog I follow from time to time. His name is Will and he has been battling cardiac angiosarcoma for 18 months, the same rare cancer as my brother. Another young man stricken with the disease. Well yesterday he passed. I was shocked and still taken off guard. He was doing well, in fact he had just had the same surgery my brother had 9 years ago, and his was considered a success. So why did he pass so suddenly, I can not find the answers on his blog, but I assume complications from the cancer or surgery. It was a reminder to me, that as horrible as my brother's diagnosis is, he is one of the lucky ones, he is still alive. I do not know of any other patient who has lived this long with the diagnosis. Every person we have encountered over the years with this cancer, and I can count them on one hand, has passed away. Alex, for a reason I do not know, but am eternally thankful for, is still fighting, valiantly fighting. We have been given time with him, that these other families have not. I am sad for them and their loss, and reminded of the gift we are given even when the disease feels so cruel.

It brings to the front of my mind why it was so sweet to me to listen to my brother snoring a couple of days ago. That snoring would have been a nuisance to me 15 years ago, but this week, it was a gift. A gift that he was with me, sleeping so deeply, and in that moment alive and not in pain.

Will, I pray that you are resting peacefully now.

No comments: