Sunday, March 28, 2010

Hospital Time

After Puerta Vallarta, I went back to Houston to spend a couple days with my kiddos, before heading to Dallas to be with my brother. After PV, Alex had to enter the hospital for round 4 of chemo on the ifosfamide regimen. Since the timing of our trips worked out well, I could leave the kids in Houston and stay with Alex in the hospital. I stayed up there for 2 nights and 3 days while Danielle worked and took care of homelife. Then on the weekend, I stayed with the kids while Danielle stayed with Alex. The hospital time surprisingly passed quickly and I loved just being with Alex. We have not just been together without kids or spouses since high school. We talked, watched tv, and played on the computer, not eventful, but nice. The chemo really takes a toll on him, but Alex doesn't complain. In fact, he is a hospital favorite. From the moment we entered the hospital, every person we met just lit up when they saw Alex and they would easily enter into familiar conversation. Alex has obviously made a point to get to know each person he encounters and they love him. One nurse even asked me if he had always been this wonderful. The snarky sister in me came out and I informed her that he was a mean, overprotective brother growing up, but he was pretty wonderful now.

As for the weekend, I had a great day with Austin on Saturday as we went to a butterfly exhibit, water conservation kids activity day, and then visiting Alex in the hospital. I do not think I have ever been alone with Austin and it was wonderful to get that quality time. He is the most affectionate young man and easy to be around. Lexi was busy at a dance convention, so we only had time together on Sunday, but her and I are always easy buddies. Mom and I hung out too. The whole trip seemed bizarre to be without my own kids, but it was nice to enjoy the time with family without the distractions of my three.

1 comment:

Alex said...

Kari I really wanted to express my love and thanks for you generously taking the time to spend in the hospital with me. I must admit it is hard having my baby sister take care of me, but you are such a wonderful person to be around. Sometimes I wish we had spent more time talking instead of fighting when we were growing up, but I am always so proud to talk about the wonderful woman and person you have become. Your ability to juggle your tasks as a mother, wife, daughter, and sister has continued to humble me. I am also so glad that you got to spend some quality time with Austin and have a better chance to see his heart.

With All My Love..Your Brother