Monday, June 7, 2010

When other people think your kids are great

So obviously, we think Shane is amazing and smart and cute and on and on, but it is an awesome thing when someone else tells you that and they aren't even related to you. My amazing, awesome neighbors are always inviting Shane over to play with their boys who are a few years older. Her two sons are pretty remarkable, respectful, kind and patient. They actually play really well with Myann and Anders too, but I try to let Shane play with them alone as much as possible so he gets that "big boy" time. Anyway, they had Shane over to their house Sunday at lunch time, so of course she feeds him, they feed him all the time, it is so nice to have one less lunch to prep some times. Shane never said a word about lunch, I guess to him it seemed like no big deal. Well, said awesome neighbor and I are on the phone chatting and she tells me that she and her husband absolutely love Shane and he just cracks them up all the time. Well yesterday she was prepping microwave pizzas for lunch, point is she was doing a quickie lunch like most of us do. Here is the conversation,
Neighbor, "Shane do you want a pizza?"
Shane, "No thank you."
Neighbor, "Do you want a salami sandwich, a peanut butter sandwich, any sandwich?"
Shane, "No thank you."
Neighbor, "What would you like, sure you don't want a pizza?"
Shane, "I'll take chicken cordon bleu."
Neighbor, "What did you just say? Did you say cordon bleu?"
Shane, "Yes, its my favorite."
Neighbor's husband (who is an excellent cook), "Shane buddy, if I had the ingredients to make it for you, I would."
Neighbor, "Sorry Shane I don't have that."
Shane, "Ok, I guess I'll have a pizza then."

She said they were totally cracking up and it made her day. She said Shane always says the funniest things to them. Sadly for Shane, he wasn't trying to be funny, he just wanted some cordon bleu and she asked.

Back story, flashback to Vancouver Island vacation last year and we ate at a super fancy restaurant and chicken cordon bleu was the "kids menu" item. Shane loved it and told the waitress to please tell the chef it was the greatest meal of his life. The chef was quite flattered. Since then, Shane loves it. Grandpa Jo even found a good recipe and made it for us on our Texas trip, but Shane was upset because Grandpa Jo did not cut it into rings like the restaurant. I buy it premade from Costco and I make sure to cut it into rings.

No comments: